5 Signs It’s Time for Window Replacement
As the weather warms up and you open your windows for the first time this season, it could be the first time in a long time you’ve taken a good look at the windows in your home. So how so are they doing? It’s relatively easy to wipe away any winter grime with some newspaper and Windex, but if your windows are showing problems beyond mere cosmetics, it might be time to think about replacing them.
So how can you tell if window replacement work is in your future? Here are the signs you shouldn’t ignore:
- They Don’t Move Properly: Windows that stick or won’t stay open are a sign of a larger problem. Your window frame could be failing, or you may have individual parts in your window that have reached the end of their useful lifespan.
- You Feel a Draft: Air leaks and wild temperature swigs near your windows are a sign that they aren’t doing their job any more. They could be coming apart, or you may have issues with insulation and weatherstripping immediately surrounding the window.
- They Leak: This is a big problem, because water seeping into the window could be traveling down your walls and causing hidden mold, mildew and rot. This is cause for immediate concern and should be taken care of right away.
- There’s Condensation Between the Panes: This is another sign that water is breaching your window in some way. While condensation on the outside of the window (especially on cold nights) isn’t a cause for concern, it’s a big deal if it’s stuck inside the window panes.
- It’s Cracked. Broken glass — including chips and spider cracks — aren’t just ugly. There’s also a safety issue, since the glass could shatter under even slight pressure if something hits the crack the wrong way. This cold put pets and small children at risk of cuts or a serious falling accident, not to mention the potential for a mess of shattered glass.
- Wooden Sashes Are Rotting: If paint has peeled away to reveal rotting wood in your windows, it’s time to replace them. Their structural integrity won’t last much longer, and you could be facing leaks and drafts sooner rather than later.
- You Can’t Lock the Window: If you can’t get the lock to snap into place, your window may have slipped out of alignment due to settling or rotting. No matter what the cause, this is a serious issue when it comes to your home’s security. If the lock can’t be fixed, the window should be replaced.
- Your Energy Bills Were Higher Than Usual This Winter: Even if you can’t feel a steady draft, high heating bills are a sign that your windows aren’t as efficient as they could be. New windows featuring the latest technology will help you save money in the long run.
If you think you’re ready for some new windows this spring or summer, New England Building Supply has everything you need to get started. We love Marvin Integrity windows for their strength and durability, and we know you’ll love all the colors and styles we have available. Stop by in person or check out our website to start shopping for your window replacement project today!